Copyright and intellectual property

Chuck Mize (nhcdm@ttacs1.ttu.edu)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:26:57 -0600 (CST)

John wrote:
>"This question does beg another, though....in a multiparticpant broadcast
>on public reflectors, who owns the "material", if anyone?"

Greetings,
We have been recording our conferences using the secondary send from a
presentation device. Our current focus is to use current desktop
communication tools, which include video conferencing, for distance
instruction. At our main campus, the machine used for this is attached to a
video projector which allows both the projection of the computer screen so a
whole class can view it, but also allows us to video tape the material.

Most of the time we go through private reflectors so not to tie up others
much needed space. At times we attach to other univerities using public
refectors. Our staff and faculty are very concerned about "who owns the
material". At this point it would appear that in practice, any material
passed through public sites may become public domain. I certainly would be
interested in others thoughts about this issue.
Chuck Mize "Someday, someone may benefit from
Computer Center Supervisor the fact that I have no life, and
Texas Tech University sit around all day trying to make
Box 41071 - College of Education this stuff work!"
Lubbock, TX. 79409-1071
email: nhcdm@ttacs.ttu.edu