RE: New reflector site

Andrew Germaine (andrewg@carfax.ims.advantis.com)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:14:03 -0500 (EST)

Since it's unicast, its an individual stream to the user who connects. If
no one is connected to the reflector, no aud/vid goes in or out. Assuming
most users are connected at 28.8, when connected to a reflector, that
user can only receive 28.8k worth of aud/vid from the reflector, and the
reflector is smart enough to only send the audio/video that the user
chooses to view.

so on my reflector, i limit access to 15 users, 10 of which may
send/receive video, 5 receive only.
and there are 2 conferences set up that way. so a max of 30 users, as 28.8
each, means when im full im eating up 864k, a little more than half a T1,
which isnt too terrible.
Also i set up *my* reflector to control how users use the bandwidth, i
wish others would too, rather than going with defaults:

o you cannot send or receive more than 40k (for lan users like me)
o you cannot set your minimum send/recv higher than 10k

Andrew J. Germaine Advantis
Technical Staff 1311 Mamaroneck Ave.
OpenNet Network 2nd Level Support Center White Plains, NY 10605
Internetworking & Multimedia Services 1-914-684-4433