From: Andrew Germaine
To: Luther, Bil MV
Cc: CU-SEEME-L
Subject: RE: New reflector site
Date: Wednesday, February 21, 1996 4:14PM

Since it's unicast, its an individual stream to the user who connects. If
no one is connected to the reflector, no aud/vid goes in or out. Assuming
most users are connected at 28.8, when connected to a reflector, that
user can only receive 28.8k worth of aud/vid from the reflector, and the
reflector is smart enough to only send the audio/video that the user
chooses to view.

so on my reflector, i limit access to 15 users, 10 of which may
send/receive video, 5 receive only.
and there are 2 conferences set up that way. so a max of 30 users, as 28.8
each, means when im full im eating up 864k, a little more than half a T1,
which isnt too terrible.

#################### bil's response
most us poor surfer's send less than a hundred bytes, then wait
a) for connect -- often failed on timeouts for VERY LONG periods
b) for query replay -- usually a few hundred bytes
c) sometimes a few seconds to save a page as text
i could accomplish it all easily on 2400 b-- [i'm using an IDN and a 28.8
respectivly]
There are now over 100 reflector sites across the world...
the cumulative traffic is NONTRIVIAL...

maybe instead or porn we should regulate volume per $ paid in.....
??????????????
#################################

at this time audio/video -- or even audio -- seems to be a violation of the
spirit of sharing on the net.
cute but cancerous.

how does the academic community rationalize this...
and how will they fare when some of the more commercial offerings like
netscape has just moved into begins to crowd the cyberlanes even moreso??
[see Netscape & InSoft]

ah nuts -- just whining -- getting tired of reading while doing real
information research.
peace
you have a good and helpful spirit
bil
##################################

Also i set up *my* reflector to control how users use the bandwidth, i
wish others would too, rather than going with defaults:

o you cannot send or receive more than 40k (for lan users like me)
o you cannot set your minimum send/recv higher than 10k --

###don't you mean 10Mhz???

Andrew J. Germaine Advantis
Technical Staff 1311 Mamaroneck Ave.
OpenNet Network 2nd Level Support Center White Plains, NY
10605
Internetworking & Multimedia Services