RE: Has CU-SeeMe a kamikaze protocol??

Luther, Bil MV (BLuther@po8.mv.unisys.com)
Thu, 22 Feb 96 09:05:00 PST

----------
From: Carl Iverson
To: BLuther
Subject: Re: New reflector site
Date: Wednesday, February 21, 1996 5:16PM

Luther, Bil MV wrote:

> maybe i'm just ignorant but,
> where does all of this audio/video stream stuff go?
> the net is browning out worse every day....
> surfing is more like paddling in a pond with a spoon...
> does this kind of broadcasting make sense??
> [not asking for a flame -- just an explanation of what kind of load
> audio/video [non-multicasted] makes when it is continuous like this?]
> bil
> bluther@po8.mv.unists.com
>
> ----------
> From: owner-CU-SEEME-L
> To: CU-SEEME-L
> Subject: New reflector site
> Date: Wednesday, February 21, 1996 11:07AM
>
> A new reflector is on line at the University of South Florida Industrial
> and Management Systems Engineering Department. This reflector will have
> 24 hour live video from our Robotics and Automation Lab. The address is
> 131.247.16.254 .
>
> Be sure to visit the site on Friday Feb. 23 when 4,500 students from
> across Florida will tour our labs for Engineering Expo.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Russell G. Bly
> Engineer, Industrial and Management Systems Engineering
> University of South Florida.For your information, if you don't already
know, the used bandwidth is
based on the number of lurkers, in this case. If the reflector does not
become popular very little bandwidth will be used.
Also the multiple paths that any given connection on the net can take is
almost infinate(sp).
Your 'brownout' is primarilly based on your own computers modem and the
ISP that you use.
If you have an ISDN connection you probably don't have any problems. But
if you are 14.4k, like I am, it gets tough at time. I find it worth it
just to see what technologies are coming down the pike not so much the
data.
If these messages bother you that much maybe you should unsubscribe.
KEEP AN OPEN MIND!

sorry but none of the freebie academic users seem to understand that there's
no free lunch -- a dozen or so video lurkers is like 1000 IRC lurkers or
10000 surfers trying to search for information --- and the 'brown outs'
serious surfer's with real information searches are experiencing have
nothing to do with our modems or computers -- i'm using an IDN link in one
case and a 28.8k modem in another -- each attached to dual processor
pentiums -- and BROWNOUT is what we see a lot of -- e.g. connection
time-outs -- hours to get to the webcrawler or hours to gain access into the
USPTO database and in most cases the time outs occur long before the last
hop....
the sooner traffic is paid for the better -- the abuses are too high to
tolerate
sorry for the flame but the condescension in some of the replies,especially
this one, has been absurd.