My Reply to: Has CU-SeeMe a kamikaze protocol??

BJ.Culpepper (BJ.Culpepper@pscmail.ps.net)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:15:00 -0600

------ =_0_MIME_Boundary_27126.312e0ab8.im52hti0.dcuh029.dcu.ps.net

Personally I think you all are missing the boat
here. If you pay for a 28.8 connection to
anything, you must expect to receive that amount
of bandwidth allocated to you regardless if you
use CUSEEME, FTP, EDI, JAVA, or whatever. The
service provider has allocated that amount of
bandwidth to you and that is what you should get
on a consistent basis. What you all are say is
like the telephone company saying that you can
only say a certain amount words a minute - even
though you have paid for a normal connection.
If you have a server with a 64k link to the
internet, that server can only send that much
data to the internet regardless if there are a
million connections. The bandwidth decreases
because of other internet usages. Any video
streams coming from the internet also decreases
how much the server can send to the internet.
Many companies have multiple 1.5mb connections
to the internet and voice over the internet is
soon becoming commercial. Remember, with all of
the arguments, Web services created the most
traffic over the internet last year.

If you pay full price for a glass of beer and it
is half full because the bartender says that you
paid for the glass - but I regulate how much
beer you have inside .... would not make you
very happy.

Just how much traffic do you thing these 'nudy'
servers produce downloading 800x600 24bit jpeg
images. Some have reported 8 to 10 thousand
hits a day. There is one in France that still
averages about 7500 hits a day.

BJ

At 09:05 02/22/96 PST, Luther, Bil MV wrote:
>############################################
>sorry but none of the freebie academic users seem to understand that
there's
>no free lunch -- a dozen or so video lurkers is like 1000 IRC lurkers or
>10000 surfers trying to search for information --- and the 'brown outs'
>serious surfer's with real information searches are experiencing have
>nothing to do with our modems or computers -- i'm using an IDN link in one
>case and a 28.8k modem in another -- each attached to dual processor
>pentiums -- and BROWNOUT is what we see a lot of -- e.g. connection
>time-outs -- hours to get to the webcrawler or hours to gain access into
the
>USPTO database and in most cases the time outs occur long before the last
>hop....
>the sooner traffic is paid for the better -- the abuses are too high to
>tolerate
>sorry for the flame but the condescension in some of the replies,especially

>this one, has been absurd.
>##############################################

I totally agree with you. the problem with CUSeeMe is that it tries to take
all the bandwidth that it has available in a continuous manner... pretty
much like a continuous FTP session.... If you have 10 people on a network
who use a 28,8 connection at 100% over some period of time, then the net
result is as if hundreds of people were browsing the web with a 14.4. A
network admnistrator cannot ignore that, and cannot penalize the average
user because a few elite people make a heavy use of the bandwidth...

The same kind of problems do appear also with Internet providers and local
web pages. Here, someone put up a web page which became very popular, and
within a couple of months, most of the bandwidth that the ISP has access to
was taken by calls to that ONE web site...

I am sure you would not like it if some guy had a car that was 3 lanes wide
to block you... Same thing with Video.

At the beginning, IRC was a problem and a heavy load on the net... then it
passes... now, it is video and sound (CUSeeMe is not the only culprit, and i

am pretty sure video and sound on demand that are more and more popular on
web sites actually is resposible for more of the traffic than Video
conferencing).

People have to be relistic with their expectations, and i find it normal
that an ISP might want to limitate the CUSeeMe activity.... the same way a
few years ago, some servers only allowed IRC during off peak hours.

Laurent.

------ =_0_MIME_Boundary_27126.312e0ab8.im52hti0.dcuh029.dcu.ps.net

<Zero length text item>

------ =_0_MIME_Boundary_27126.312e0ab8.im52hti0.dcuh029.dcu.ps.net--