RE: My Reply to: Has CU-SeeMe a kamikaze protocol??

Scott Overholser (a-scotov@wspu.MICROSOFT.com)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:43:22 -0800

sadly this is not the way the net is built. most folks who resell
bandwidth oversell their capacity. this is what keeps the costs down
for all of us. it is just like the folks that run an airline - they
consistently overbook because they know that some folks won't show. it
is a pain when you show up to the gate and they ask for volunteers to
take a later flight but the alternative is higher fares for all.

just because someone has a 28.8 modem and an account with a service
providor doesn't mean that they are entitled to 28.8kbps the whole time
you're connected - every time you connect. it is likely that the
service providor has "overbooked" just like the airlines do because he
expects that folks will use the net in a bursty fashion and that the
monthly average will be well below 28.8kbps per subscriber.

scotto

p.s. it is not like the telefone company restricting how much you can
say. when you make a connection via fone, you establish a physical
connection - just by establishing the connection you use all of it,
whether you say anything or not. the internet on the other hand is a
packet network where connections are virtual - the more you say, the
more you use.