RE: Has CU-SeeMe a kamikaze protocol??

Elizabeth S. Klein (kleies@sncac.snc.edu)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:26:09 -0600 (CST)

I don't know that I'd call CUSEEME users elitist--perhaps pioneers is
the right term--most likely those same individuals were getting yelled
at for using "all that bandwidth" surfing the Net with Mosaic a few
short years ago--and now surfing is common--hummmm. . . .

> At 09:05 02/22/96 PST, Luther, Bil MV wrote:
> >############################################
> >sorry but none of the freebie academic users seem to understand that there's
> >no free lunch -- a dozen or so video lurkers is like 1000 IRC lurkers or
> >10000 surfers trying to search for information --- and the 'brown outs'
> >serious surfer's with real information searches are experiencing have
> >nothing to do with our modems or computers -- i'm using an IDN link in one
> >case and a 28.8k modem in another -- each attached to dual processor
> >pentiums -- and BROWNOUT is what we see a lot of -- e.g. connection
> >time-outs -- hours to get to the webcrawler or hours to gain access into the
> >USPTO database and in most cases the time outs occur long before the last
> >hop....
> >the sooner traffic is paid for the better -- the abuses are too high to
> >tolerate
> >sorry for the flame but the condescension in some of the replies,especially
> >this one, has been absurd.
> >##############################################
>

> I totally agree with you. the problem with CUSeeMe is that it tries to take
> all the bandwidth that it has available in a continuous manner... pretty
> much like a continuous FTP session.... If you have 10 people on a network
> who use a 28,8 connection at 100% over some period of time, then the net
> result is as if hundreds of people were browsing the web with a 14.4. A
> network admnistrator cannot ignore that, and cannot penalize the average
> user because a few elite people make a heavy use of the bandwidth...
>
> The same kind of problems do appear also with Internet providers and local
> web pages. Here, someone put up a web page which became very popular, and
> within a couple of months, most of the bandwidth that the ISP has access to
> was taken by calls to that ONE web site...
>
> I am sure you would not like it if some guy had a car that was 3 lanes wide
> to block you... Same thing with Video.
>
> At the beginning, IRC was a problem and a heavy load on the net... then it
> passes... now, it is video and sound (CUSeeMe is not the only culprit, and i
> am pretty sure video and sound on demand that are more and more popular on
> web sites actually is resposible for more of the traffic than Video
> conferencing).
>
> People have to be relistic with their expectations, and i find it normal
> that an ISP might want to limitate the CUSeeMe activity.... the same way a
> few years ago, some servers only allowed IRC during off peak hours.
>

> Laurent.

Elizabeth Shiner Klein
Teacher Education, St. Norbert College
100 Grant St., De Pere, WI  54115