Re: Quality of Internet Providers

John Osborne (josborne@magna.com.au)
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 06:35:02 +1000

Steven...

Good question. I get asked this frequently. I regularly use about
4 to 5 Internet Service Providers (ISP's), always on the lookout for
the "right one". The first two criteria you mention are important.
If your prospective ISP doesn't offer 28.8 or better, look somewhere
else, for starters. You will be much happier with the fastest
connection *you* can support/afford instead of being artificially
constrained by *their* equipment.

Local access number is *very* important, otherwise you'll be paying a
surcharge to the phone company for long distance in addition to the
connect charges levied by the ISP.

That said, look to see how they charge. If you are a casual user
(say 3-5 hours per month) then look for a charging plan that only
costs for the hours you use. If you plan to use the Internet for
longer periods of time, look for a provider that has a "flat fee"
charging structure such that you pay $xxx/month for a certain number
of hours (which could be unlimited) and a smaller per-hour fee after
that.

Make sure you *ask* how many phone lines/connection are available.
I trialled an ISP here who charge rate was only $1.00/hour but the
limited number of lines meant lots of busy signals unless I used the
service at weird hours.

Ask how your prospective ISP is connected to the rest of the Internet.
You will be happier if they are directly on, say, MCI's backbone
rather than having to hop thru a bunch of other people's routers
before you get anywhere.

Does your prospective ISP offer Email? Not everyone does so if it's
important to you, ask.

Does your prospective ISP offer USENET? Not every ISP does due to the
large amount of disk space (up to 9 gigabytes, I believe, for a full
USENET feed) it takes up. This may not be a consideration for you
but USENET is very important to me.

What about technical support? Aside from the "usual" initial setup
problems new people have getting connected, how knowledgeable about
problems are your ISP's staff? When are they available?
Can they help with Email problems, mail setup problems, Web page
authoring, third-party package problems (Chemaleon, Netscape, Eudora,
Pegasus, WS-FTP, the list is endless), SLIP setups, PPP setups?

What payment methods are available? How often will you be billed?
Can you get an interim statement/usage information or do you have to
put up with a monthly heart attack when the bill arrives?

I hope this helps.

Regards, John