Re: My Reply to: Has CU-SeeMe a kamikaze protocol??

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 15:13:04 -0800

BJ.Culpepper wrote:
> Personally I think you all are missing the boat here. If you pay for a 28.8 connection to
> anything, you must expect to receive that amount of bandwidth allocated to you regardless if you
> use CUSEEME, FTP, EDI, JAVA, or whatever. The service provider has allocated that amount of
> bandwidth to you and that is what you should get on a consistent basis.

This is interesting "theory", too bad it isn't correct! An ISP does NOT persay, "allocate" B/W.
What determines B/W is:

1. The architecture of the ISP's internet connection (i.e. - T1, ISDN, ATM, etc...)

2. The user's hardware and method of connection (i.e. - modem, onsite connect, etc...)

3. The communication medium used to transfer the signals (traffic). Normally, the
quality of "Ma-Bell's" telephone cable's allows modem-to-ISP(modem) connections between
21.6 to 26.4 baud.
> What you all are say is like the telephone company saying that you can only say a certain amount
> words a minute - even though you have paid for a normal connection.

Actually, you are limited *only* by those factors listed above, PLUS the amount of TRAFFIC that's
processing at that time. Look at it this way, if everyone at your house turned on all the water
faucets, ran the clothes washer and dish washer at the same time; would you have enough water
pressure to use your garden hose to wash your car, properly? I think not (unless you have *great*
plumming)!
> If you have a server with a 64k link to the internet, that server can only send that much data to
> the internet regardless if there are a million connections. The bandwidth decreases because of
> other internet usages. Any video streams coming from the internet also decreases how much the
> server can send to the internet.

Well... sort of! A 64Kb (ISP-to-Phone Company) connection has to handle multiple modem-to-ISP
connections. Each of those 1-to-1 (user-to-ISP) connections very with the architectures listed
above. Again, the same "water faucet" analogy applies. Keep in mind that B/W is a constant, but
the *amount* of traffic flooding that "pipeline" can fluctuate.
> Many companies have multiple 1.5mb connections to the internet and voice over the internet is
> soon becoming commercial. Remember, with all of the arguments, Web services created the most
> traffic over the internet last year.

You know, I cannot *really* argue with you here. What would lighten the load on B/W would be if
more telecommunications backbone's (phone lines) were upgraded to better handle the data traffic.
> If you pay full price for a glass of beer and it is half full because the bartender says that you
> paid for the glass - but I regulate how much beer you have inside .... would not make you very
> happy.

Could you please indulge my ignorance on interpreting this analogy???
> Just how much traffic do you thing these 'nudy' servers produce downloading 800x600 24bit jpeg
> images. Some have reported 8 to 10 thousand hits a day. There is one in France that still
> averages about 7500 hits a day.
>
> BJ

Well, considering these pictures are being transferred in packets of 512(min) to 1500 bytes(max)
as opposed to the entire picture, pieces of everybodies "connections" can process (virtually) at
the same time. The more user downloads that occur, the more overall user connections "bog" down
B/W at that particular location!
If I'm incorrect on any of these points, please let me know! Also, please feel free to take a
look at my home page. Have a good day...

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "mailto:derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"