Re: Chat window

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 08:15:10 -0600

>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:09:47 -0500
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@wpine.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Re: Chat window
>

>>I haven't tried it yet, but would it be possible for my friend and I to
have a
>>conversation (private?) by way of the chat window. Neither of us have
>>audio/visual capabilities. We would both have to be lurkers connected to a
>>reflector. Did I read somewhere that the "filter" button on the Chat window
>>can be used to talk to just one person, even though we would both be lurkers?
>>
>>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Can't do it, at the moment. You can send private audio by selecting the
>microphone Icon on the other persons window, but you have no audio/video. The
>quick solution is to do a point-to-point connection, the ultimate privacy.
>
>I would bet that you can have private conversations using Internet Relay Chat
>(IRC), but I have never used it myself.
>
>-bos

Yes, most IRC clients have the ability to send private messages, and some
even put the private conversation into a seperate window, which makes it a
lot easier. I use mIRC on my PC, which is windows based, and does put the
private messages into a window of its own. IMHO mIRC is the best IRC client
for the PC, and it's freeware for personal use.

I believe that Homer for the Macintosh doesn't use a seperate window, but it
does allow for private chats. If text chatting is all you need, then IRC is
a pretty simple solution. You can download mIRC or Homer from my web page
(listed below) and there are links to more IRC information to help you get
started.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe