Re: My Reply to: My Reply to: Has CU-SeeMe a kamikaze protocol??

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 21:54:58 -0800

Carl Iverson wrote:

> BJ.Culpepper wrote:
> >
> > Just to let you know, I have received some outstanding
> > replies to my previous eMail (from Scott
> > a-scotov@wspu.MICROSOFT.com, Laurent ldh@interlog.com &
> > Sgt Daniel W. Erskine derskine@apci.net). Actually every
> > one was good. It seems however that because I decided
> > to leave out certain details so the eMail would not be
> > too wordy, some have assumed that my experience in
> > engineering networks (12 years) is not appearant. Some
> > points I will note on that I think should be mentioned.
> >
> > My experience with providers have been at the company
> > level and we have established ourselves as providers for
> > other companies as well. At this level we have required
> > a guaranteed level of service that perhaps cannot be
> > applied to individual users (dial-in). Hence therefore
> > providers may provide more connections than allocated
> > throughput. A sort of 'keep adding until someone
> > screams' theory.
> >
> > Unfortunately for all of us, it is a fact that there is
> > not one answer - and time will have the final say so.
> >
> > I know that I am going to receive 2000 eMails on this
> > question but here it goes. Your opinion-> Since there
> > are some that are actively in the process of providing
> > internet service (WWW) to users 'free' (which is paid by
> > advertising), what happens to your utilization theories
> > when this gets applied to internet videoconferencing?
> >
> > Does not the provider have to 'choke up' to the
> > increased bandwidth requirements (for this question just
> > assuming that the user number does not change)?
> >
> > BJ
>
> Very good explanation of the technical side, do you have an opinion as to
> who has the 'right' to use this capability. There are elitists out there
> that feel that some of us should not use the bandwidth because it takes
> away from there endevers(sp?) and convienence.

Greetings:
I applaude Mr. Culpepper's reply (actually, I "bow" before his extra 7 years
internet experience over mine :)!

               "THERE IS NO SANITY...  Just organized CHAOS!!!"

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net" PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "http://www.apci.net/~derskine" [=============================================================================]