Re: Bandwith and personal vulnerablity

Jonathan Day (jonathan.day@umist.ac.uk)
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:14:52 +0000

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine wrote:
> All this discussion about exhibitionism on CU-based reflectors reminds me of
> a previous Email to this listserver. This "gentleman" claimed he had the
> *right* to express himself on a particular reflector, stating that anyone who
> didn't like it could "change the channel", going to another reflector.
> Well..!
> I responded to him *offline*, telling him, "If that's you're *standard*, then
> I'm sure you won't mind if I tell you MY reflector is rated-G! ...And if you
> don't like it, then why don't YOU change the channels!!!"
> To this day, I'm still waiting for him to prove his double-standards by
> sending a negative reply. Fortunately (for him), I'm STILL waiting!!!
> I'm mature enough to *share* the internet with people like this guy, but I'm
> not foolish enough to be an "aragant a$$" about it!
> Please let FREEDOM and UNDERSTANDING reign on the internet, together!

For what it might be worth, I whole-heartedly agree with everything you wrote
here. Freedom of speech/expression is NOT an obligation to offend or hurt. With
a little thought, it is possible for everyone to be happy. I dread to see the
day when public video reflectors, virtual environments and the like vanish off
the face of the earth, labelled as nothing more than a foolish utopian dream.