Re: Bandwith and personal vulnerablity

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:03:46 -0800

Jonathan Day wrote:
> Sgt Daniel W. Erskine wrote:
> > All this discussion about exhibitionism on CU-based reflectors reminds me of
> > a previous Email to this listserver. This "gentleman" claimed he had the
> > *right* to express himself on a particular reflector, stating that anyone who
> > didn't like it could "change the channel", going to another reflector.
> > Well..!
> > I responded to him *offline*, telling him, "If that's you're *standard*, then
> > I'm sure you won't mind if I tell you MY reflector is rated-G! ...And if you
> > don't like it, then why don't YOU change the channels!!!"
> > To this day, I'm still waiting for him to prove his double-standards by
> > sending a negative reply. Fortunately (for him), I'm STILL waiting!!!
> > I'm mature enough to *share* the internet with people like this guy, but I'm
> > not foolish enough to be an "aragant a$$" about it!
> > Please let FREEDOM and UNDERSTANDING reign on the internet, together!
>
> For what it might be worth, I whole-heartedly agree with everything you wrote
> here. Freedom of speech/expression is NOT an obligation to offend or hurt. With
> a little thought, it is possible for everyone to be happy. I dread to see the
> day when public video reflectors, virtual environments and the like vanish off
> the face of the earth, labelled as nothing more than a foolish utopian dream.

Greetings:
Thank you for your words of encouragement. As a U.S. military member, I have an
understanding of how "responsibility" tempers "privilage"! Unfortunately, there
are many in our society who want more "rights" than they deserve! I just wish
"some people" would GET IT RIGHT (i.e. - C.D.A.)

What does NOT constitute a "RIGHT":

o Driving a motor vehicle is a responsibility.

o Monitoring your children in potentially questionable situations is a
responsibility!

What does NOT constitute a "RESPONSIBILITY":

o Drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes is a right!

o Voting for your public officials is a right!

What constitutes both a "RESPONSIBILITY" and a "PRIVILAGE":

o Defending your country and it's (your) way of life!!!

o Working towards maintaining the principles of your Deity (religion)!

"RESPONSIBILTY tempers PRIVILAGE!"

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "mailto:derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"