Re: Host files

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 17:55:41 -0600

At 03:38 PM 2/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I seem to be having a problem with HOST NAME and my IP Address. I'm using
Windows 95 both at work and at home. At work, my IP address is assigned
permanently. I have my IP and HOST NAME specified in the TCP/IP protocol in
my Networking information. At home, my provider supplies an IP at connect.
I keep getting the HOST/IP error in both places. Anyone have any specific
suggestions for taking care of this problem in Windows 95? The enhanced
CU-SeeME manual from White Pine talks about a HOST file, but doesn't give
any details on setting it up in WIN95. Sorry for asking a dumb question,
but I need to get over this hump to get connected.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Joe

Check the "GetHostName() Error Help" section on my web page. It tells you
how to make a hosts file and where to put it, but the problem here is your
provider. They need to setup not only a DNS, but also a Reverse DNS. Check
with them about this, but go make yourself a hosts file so you can at least
get going.

Bill Woodland (Squeek)
Email, PowWow, and ICQ: wcw@bga.com
URL:http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW