Re: Oops} ISDN on one channel ?

Marc Lindahl (shark@dti.net)
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:52:28 -0500

At 9:50 AM -0600 2/7/97, Mike Baranowski wrote:
>>>Does anyone have information on purchasing and using one channel plus signal
>>>rather than two channels plus signal for ISDN transmission? Can it be done?
>>>Is it usually cheaper?
>
>Sorry all - I stand corrected. In some states, ISDN can be obtained with
>1B + 1D. I live in a state where they don't offer such service - only
>2B + 1D, unlimited, for $65 a month. I suggest calling your local
>telephone company. While you are asking about availability, make sure
>they can install at your LOCATION - not all central offices/switches are
>capable of ISDN.
>
>- Mike Baranowski
> Jeeves

First, check Dan's ISDN web page: http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/isdn/
I believe 2B+D is the minimum service for ISDN. I have it via NYNEX, and
if it we'rent for phone #s and info from Kegel's, I wouldn't! When I
called NYNEX's department for getting a new phone line, they told me they
didn't have ISDN in my area (Manhattan!)! But, some far-removed special
ISDN department was able to refer me to a consultant NYNEX hired (TCI), who
got me hooked up! In NYC, ISDN is $4 more than the cost of 2 analog phone
lines (total about $28). In more spread-out regions, your distance from
the CO is usual the problem, most of the CO's support ISDN (it's a pretty
old modern revolution).

http://sonorus.com Sonorus, Inc.
http://bowery.com Bowery Records
http://home.dti.net/shark shark@dti.net (Marc Lindahl)
http://bowery.com/skoota un-official SKOOTA website
"They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're also Human Beings" -- Batman