Re: Restrictions on transimssion rates if isdn used with cuseeeme?

Mark Badger (mark@steinberg.net)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 07:25:15 -0800

michael butler wrote:

> John Ingham writes:
>
> > Those who are lucky enough to have a T1 or E1 connection are a bit like
> > CBers with a Power Booster - they think they can blast their way through to
> > a better picture than the modem-connected "plebs". The last laugh is on
> > them though, because they are the ones whose picture looks the worst to the
> > majority!

this also speaks to my earlier point regarding the default transmission
rate.

even people with t1 and isdn connections offer video that looks clearer
if
they set their rates to send at 15 Kbps than at 30 or 60.

the problem is related to pixelization of the video at teh receiving
client
end. at 15 the image tends to update in whole frames and, while not
offering a
"smoothly transitioning" image, has the advantage of at least a clear
image.
this effect is easily demonstrable on most refs. it may be related to
packet
losses as the effect is less noticeable if the transmitting client is
only
a few hops from the reflector.

it works a little differently with the color codecs, but the majority of
ppl on CU appear to use monochrome anyways.

the mac cornell client boots for the first time set to send at 80,
receive at
300 (if i recall correctly), which is fairly ludicrous for the vast
majority
of the people who try to use it. and bill woodland made a very good
point
about the ref software's handling of clients that attempt to make
connections
at rates over the limit. that the refused connection occurs in the
cornell
reflector is forgivable, that this happens in the white pine reflector
is....

while we are on the topic of suggestions:

a reflector facility where "first in first out" is an option rather than
time limit on connections. i.e. a client can connect for as long as they
like,
but when the reflector gets busy the latest connections bumps the
oldest.