Re: Newbie seeking help

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 00:01:31 -0600

At 12:36 PM 2/10/97 -800, you wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I'm new to this list and new to CU-SEEME. I'd like some pointers for
>getting started. I downloaded the 6-meg demo version of the White
>Pine product. I read a faq, but it didn't have any good info on the
>basics of just getting the first picture. So far, I haven't even been
>able to connect to a site.
>
>Right now, all I want to do is receive video, sending is not=20
>important.
>
>I found the "scanner" site on the web and tried manually entering
>several of the addresses, the White Pine site included. Sometimes I
>would connect and get a list of choices. Usually there was a choice
>for modem users, which I selected. But that choice as well as the
>other ones always time out after a few minutes. I never connect. I
>tried ten or more times on various sites that were suppose to be in
>operation.
>
>My CU-SEEME settings:
> Transmission Rate
> Maximum 28 kbps
> Minimum 10 kbps
> Reception Rate
> Maximum 28 kbps

This may be your problem...do you actually connect at 28800bps? My modem
regularly connects at 26400, and sometimes at 24000. If yours is like mine,
set your receive max down to 24 or 26 accordingly, and I think this will
help you with timeout errors.

> Minimum 10 kbps
>
>My system:
> Win95
> Pentium 133
> 32megs of ram.
> 28.8 modem
> Diamond Stealth w/2megs
> Connection through Netcom shell acct via slirp.

This is another thing that's going to cause you problems. CU CAN work with
SLIRP, but as far as I know, the chat will not work. Pay a little more and
get a REAL slip or ppp connection.

>My questions:
>
>1. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

see above

>2. Do you need more information?

nope...you did real good with this. You would be amazed at the number of
people that just say "I can't connect" and give no more info. It's
impossible to help those kind of people. You gave not only the hardware
info, but also your CU settings, AND the fact that you are using SLIRP. =
BRAVO!

>3. Is this the best list for beginners?

Do you mean this mailing list? Yep, you be at da right place!

>4. Do I need a video capture device? =20

Not to receive video.

>I was under the impression=20
> I did not need any special hardware in order to receive a=20
> picture. Is this right?

You will be referred to as a "lurker" if you don't send video, but yes, you
should still be able to receive video. If you insist on keeping your SLIRP
connection, you will have to do something to "redirect UDP port 7648". Do a
web search on SLIRP and you'll find a page where someone else was able to
get CU to work with SLIRP. Once you get a slip or ppp connection things
should just work like magic :)

>5. What would be a good sight (reflector) to use just to get=20
> started? Content of the site is unimportant.

Go to my web page (listed below) and get a reflector list. There are some
refs in the list labeled as the "top ten" but you will probably find them
too full most of the time. Try some of the others, especially the NASA
sites...I don't think they are used all that much, tho I could be wrong.

>6. At what point does the demo version expire? It shuts off=20
> after some period of time (10 min?) which seems to me to be a
> pretty good incentive to register.

I think the demo version will work for 30 days, at 30 minute intervals. In
my opinion, this is a pretty good way to allow you to test the program well
before deciding to purchase it.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Don Rudolph -- dcr@netcom.com

Bill Woodland (Squeek =A9)