RE: White Pine Reflector price

Ciaran Carter (Ciaran.Carter@stbrn.ac.uk)
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:23:19 GMT

At 16:55 18/02/97 +1100, you wrote:

>> Thanks for you comments. I am also thinking of what software to use for a
>> reflector at our company. Your comments will steer me away from White
>> Pine, but you didn't mention any of the other products you do recommend.
>>
>> Please fill me in on some other relector companies that are better choices
>> than White Pine. I am also investigating Cornell, but I think their
>> software is Mac or PC only, and I'd like to run the reflector on a UNIX
>> workstation, an HP or Sun box.
>
>David, as I responded to another question a few minutes ago (by private
>email), I'll post my findings and conclusions to this list after the dust
>settles (and hope I don't get lynched for them!).
>
>In the very short term however, the Cornell reflector definately works on
>BSDI 2.0.1, but I don't think it works on FreeBSD. I think there are
>versions for AIX and SUN, and a pile of others.
>
>My initial testing showed that apart from Colour (sorry, color) support,
>the WP version did very little different to the Cornell version and
>performed much the same on similar hardware. (My testing in this case
>were purely related to access on a local LAN/WAN and with a limited
>number of modem dial-in users. YMMV)

The Cornell reflector works fine under FreeBSD - see ours running on
test.stbrn.ac.uk.

Ciaran

"Democracy isn't just the best from of government; it's the only one even
remotely worth a damn. Only democracy guarantees that people get what they
deserve."
--Dark Conspiracy RPG

http://www.stbrn.ac.uk/
ftp://mail.stbrn.ac.uk/