Re: Dynamically Assigned IPs

Mark L. Bardenwerper (bardenwe@vbe.com)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:26:42 -0600

Tom wrote:

> I have both the White Pine and Cornell versions of the cuseeme software.
> I would like to use the Cornell version more before investing in White
> Pine to avoid the time-out problem. However, I seem to recall reading
> that the Cornell version requires a file be present at boot-up which
> contains, among other things, the IP address of the user machine.
>
> My ISP assigns IP addresses dynamically which would mean, as I
> understand it, my IP address could and probably would change each time I
> boot the system. How then can I create the file needed by the Cornell
> cuseeme program if I must then reboot for the program to recognize the
> IP address which, by virtue of the re-boot would likely have changed?
> Is the logic here correct or has something escaped me?

By using a nifty utility called Makehost. Get it at
<http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW/>.

Here are some instructions, courtesy Bill Woodland and the CU archive:
This was cut from a mailing dated April 23, 1996.
Make a note of what your IP address is right now. I'll assume that it's
105.205.101.27 for the example.

Drop to DOS.
type MAKEHOST and press <ENTER>
You see:
MAKEHOST - Makes a HOSTS file for Dynamic IP. By Fred Salerno

Enter the first three segments of the IP address. (ex:199.199.199)
(you enter 105.205.101)

Enter the starting address (ex:1)
(you enter 1)

Enter the ending address (ex:255)
(you enter 255)

Done! HOSTS file created!

The hosts file will be in the directory you were in when you ran
MAKEHOST
and it will have 255 lines in it, and look like this:

105.205.101.1 dialup
105.205.101.2 dialup
105.205.101.3 dialup
105.205.101.4 dialup
105.205.101.5 dialup
.
<snip>
.
105.205.101.251 dialup
105.205.101.252 dialup
105.205.101.253 dialup
105.205.101.254 dialup
105.205.101.255 dialup

Put this hosts file in the same directory as your winsock.dll file.

And here is a little more info that I sent to another person, to help
explain what this program does, and why you might need it:

Yes, makehost is available on the download section of my web page. Its
purpose is to make you a hosts file with all of the ip addresses in it
that
you MIGHT be assigned by your provider. Your provider PROBABLY ssigns
you
an IP address from the same CLASS C license every time. A CLASS C
license
gives you the first 3 numbers of an IP address, and you can use .0
through
.255 along with it. As in the example, this CLASS C license would be the
105.205.101and you (your provider, that is) add a .0, .1, .2, etc. to
the
end of that to give you 256 different IP addresses.

One time you dial up, you may get 105.205.101.27 and another time you
might
get 105.205.101.247. As long as the number you get starts with the
105.205.101 then this hosts file will give that IP address a name for
you.
If your provider uses MULTIPLE CLASS C licenses, then run the makehost
program for each different license and add the different hosts files
into
one file. Let's say they also have 105.205.102 and use that license for
assigning IP addresses to their users, also. Run makehost once for
105.205.101 and rename hosts to something else. Run makehost again for
105.205.102 and add in the previous file. Your hosts file can have as
many
lines in it as you want. As long as the IP address that you are USING is
in
the file, then it will get a name associated with it.

If this still is unclear to anyone, let me know and I'll try to write it
up
more thoroughly.
Don't forget, Fred Salerno at salernof@gate.net wrote this program, not
me.
If any of you want to send him some MONEY for it, feel free :-)

Speaking of which, Bill Neisius at neisius@netcom.com wrote CUDOODLE,
and
I'm sure HE would love some MONEY, also.

CUDOODLE can be found at ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ne/neisius/

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe

By the way, the archives can be accessed at
<http://www.indstate.edu/CU-SeeMe/all_archives.html>
With a little poking, you can find answers to just about any problem you
might encounter.

Mark L. Bardenwerper #:?)
Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.