Re: Snappy Video Capture

Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:39:16 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Bill Chapman wrote:
> It seems I read in the volumes of material that Snappy Video capture
> boards will NOT work with CU.. Before I run out and spend $99 on the
> Connctix camera, I'd like to know if the Snappy camera board can be
> adapted. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard several stories on this...The older Snappy versions are just
frame grabbers, NOT video capture devices. In order to get any video
conferencing software to work, you have to use CU-Doodle
(ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ne/neisius if my memory serves right).

However, version 4 of the Snappy may be able to work just fine with
CU-SeeMe. Supposedly version 3 did, but there was no mention in the docs
about it and no one I've seen was able to get it to work. It's actually a
moot point...Capture cards are now usually much cheaper than the Snappy.
The Snappy I've seen runs from $200-$400. The Winnov Videum capture card
runs at $99. Other capture cards are just as cheap.