Re: Connectix QuickCam VC - Price?

Thu, 5 Feb 1998 22:28:00 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Nick Faba wrote:
> I purchased a few Quickcam VC's for my lab without checking for NT
> compatability. Guess what??

The NT drivers for the Quickcam have always lagged behind...I don't even
think Windows 3.1 drivers are out for it since it requires a hefty
computer to begin with..but I don't know.

> Anyone know another driver that might work ? or...maybe someone can
> give me an idea of how reliable Cnntx is with updates?

>From what little I understand, the Quickcam VC uses a CMOS chip to do a
lot of things...a low cost CMOS chip which is why the VC is so cheap to
buy. But it also has a lot of restrictions. You could always try the NT
color quickcam drivers for NT (I believe those are out) but I wouldn't
hold my breath.

> Well...just another reason to allow myself to grumble about NT.

I wouldn't grumble about NT..I'd grumble about the software companies who
develop the drivers. If I remember what Bill Woodland mentioned in the
past, one of the main difference between Win95 and WinNT is the fact that
it requires PURE 32-bit drivers for every component. But at the same
time, NT isn't exactly dominating the home market but the server market.

BTW, I've heard lots of good things about the Winnov capture cards working
perfectly with NT...yet another reason to choose a capture card :)