re: False dialog

Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:27:02 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Mark Andrew Nassy wrote:
> i get the same problem on a pci ppc, nubus ppc, 68k mac when i try to
> connect to a reflector via a modem. it usually occurs on the 1st connection
> attempt to a reflector (ie, prior to connecting to any reflector). i dont
> recall the type of reflector (ie, cornell, wp, bg).

I'm not sure if it's specific to the machine...
It's just a choice Cornell made with going to UDP. If there's lots of
packet loss, your connection packets can be dropped.. Presumably the
ethernet is on a much better connection than the dialup.

Gotta love UDP...great for video/audio traffic, but horrible at control
messages since it's connectionless.