Re: Reflector Scanner

Andrew Clarke (andrew@plinth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:03:26 BST

** Reply to note from CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu Tue, 10 Feb 1998 02:34:41 EST
> [Streak Wrote]
> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Trevor Sim Chee Yong wrote:
> > Anyone knows of a good reflector scanner which not only shows active
> > reflectors but also the CU users connected to it ??

[snip]

> The other problem with Peoplenet's scanner was that it didn't obtain
> permission to scan the reflectors it scanned. This caused a lot of
> reflector operators to really dislike it and one (hi Os :)) went so far as
> to insert HTML tags in a deny message to prevent the Peoplenet scanner
> from operating. Shortly after that, it went down permanently.

Well the problem was they didn't answer their email to remove refs from
their little scanner, so direct action was the only response. And after
about two weeks of my minor tampering with output of their alleged
scanner I did get an email from the admin saying they'd removed my ref
from their list. They had too :)

Apart from it being incredibly funny, this little tale should point out
to people that asking permission for something is a good idea.

(HINT: Richard Cekal, my ref is still listed on your pages, after I asked
months ago for you to remove it, this doesn't impress me one bit).

> I have a scanner up which fixes the Peoplenet problems...I require an
> email from the reflector operator before showing who's on their reflector.
> I also only check the authorized reflectors so I can scan the reflector
> fairly quickly. The Peoplenet scanner opened up a physical connection to
> the reflector as a participant to capture who was on...My scanner connects
> thru refmon or telnet directly to the reflector so it isn't affected by
> how many people are on it. (The Peoplenet scanner was often unable to
> obtain who was on the reflector because the reflector was full).

Or banned (the deny is still in my config file, I haven't bothered to
remove it because I find it to be a pointed reminder of how educating the
clueless can be a whole realm of entertainment in itself). Now only if I
could do the same to White Pine (joke).

[snip]

> If you go to http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan you can
> click on an individual reflector's IP to see who's on just that reflector.
>
> If you go to
> http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan?command=scan you can
> scan ALL the reflectors at once (actually just displays a file).
>
> (geeze...I forgot how long those URLs are...) :)

Try the 'refer' command too, it's fun (and my pages are at number 3 I
believe, so I must be doing something right) :)

> Oh yeah..and if you want more reflectors to be able to be scanned, just
> have the reflector operators contact me...I'm more than willing to add
> them to the authorized list.

Don't forget to mention that you also have a "don't add" list so people
like won't go postal at you if someone tried to get their private ref on
the list :)

> Now if only White Pine could update their links at
> http://support.wpine.com/cuseeme/H162.HTM to remove the Peoplenet link and
> substitute mine, there'd be some progress :) Peoplenet's page hasn't been
> up for over a year now.

<sarcasm> White Pine do stuff? Never! Well apart from removing 2.1.2 from
their pages so I have to resort to offering people links to ftp search
engines to locate 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 for them to use if they can't stand 3.1
</sarcasm>

Andrew, aka Os, who is just updating his anti-3.x pages and is feeling
somewhat anti-most other things too (damn dentists).

--
Andrew Clarke - "If Jesus loves me, why won't he swallow?".
PGP Public Key available on request