Re: Some general observations

George M Bean (gbean@umich.edu)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:56:34 -0500

Wayne Fisher wrote:

> Funny, but it seems as if I may be one of the few people on this
> listserv who actually LIKE White Pine's CUSeeMe version 3.x. With 3.x,
> White Pine has added smoother and faster video based upon newer and
> improved codes, enhanced audio, and better support for color. Granted,
> the interface is a little different and takes some getting used to, but
> I actually like it.... but, I would like to be able to float the windows
> as was available in version 2.x. And, not, I do NOT work for White
> Pine... I'm just tired of seeing their excellent procut getting bashed
> on this listserv.... granted, it does take some additional system
> resources, but these days, so do MOST upgraded products. C'mon guys....
> give the people at White Pine Some credit.... their customer support has
> always helped me when I needed it, and yes, I am a registered user of
> both 2.x AND 3.x - and, altho the Cornell version may be quick, the
> enhancements which White Pine added only improve the product FOR ME
> (color, improved audio, whiteboard capability, private chat, enhanced
> phone books, etc.)
>
> Just my own humble opinions... if you MUST flame me, please do so in a
> private email... no sense wasting bandwidth....
>
> - Wayne

I think Wayne's comment's are long overdue. I might like my old 1967
Nova for its simplicity, price and familiarity. However, I accept that
my much newer and more expensive Saturn has some desirable upgrades like
air bags and some not so desirable improvements like which button on
which stick controls the wipers. Good or bad it's all part of the
automobile's evolution.

WP has heard all the version 2.x to 3.x change complaints at least a
couple of dozen times. Hopefully, they have listened and will take some
of these to heart when creating version 4.x. Perhaps they will ask a few
old timers to assist with alpha testing 4.x as well as beta testing.

I agree that WP needs to address the 2.1.1 versus 2.1.2 issue by either
making 2.1.2 available or announce reason(s) for its unavailability.
Beyond that, I hope the list members will concentrate on helping other
users, finding new applications for CU and discussing needed
enhancements rather than complaining about WP.

As always, I encourage any constructive discussion on this or other
topics. Echoing Wayne's request, if you must flame me please do so
privately rather than waste net bandwidth and others mail server
storage. Also please note that I have no association with WP and the
vast majority of my video conferencing efforts involve high end systems
(> $6000). CU is just a low cost means for me to communicate with
friends and family.

--
regards,
george