Re: GIFs

MICHAEL L. BENSON (mbenson@osf1.gmu.edu)
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 10:49:43 -0500

That's not backing down. You see, they would spend too much money
in legal fees trying to collect from people who have previously
violated the patents and furthermore it is not just "major for-profit"
software developers but any software developers. This is not a change
in position either since they can't collect anything from freeware
authors since they don't make money. The funniest part of this is that
they claim that the 1% surcharge is not to make money but just to
protect the patent. Funny, I didn't know that to hold a patent you
had to charge for it. I am sure the stockholders would love to
know that their actions are a way to make some money. All of this
is probably mute though because the public is tending to distrust
and dislike Unisys now, and the people on the Internet (ie comp.compression,
comp.graphics, etc. and other companies) are forging new graphic standards.

However, I am not sure how this made it to this mailing list.

Michael