Re: Macs and microphones

Ben Domenico (ben@unidata.ucar.edu)
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 10:31:40 -0500

On Wed, 11 Jan 1995 l.hewson@unsw.edu.au wrote:

> Uri,
>
> After much frustration, I found that one problem can be the various model
> microphones supplied with different model Macs. Yes, you will need to
> connect a mic to the input at the back of the CI, but check that the length
> of the minijack plug is correct. I use a small Quadra 605 and found that
> none of the existing Mac mics worked with this model, until I discovered
> one with an extra long jack pin (5 mm longer than standard) and suddenly I
> could talk. Strangely, this mic does not work with all the other Macs
> around here.

Apple strikes again. That change in microphone jack "standards" has
wasted considerable time at a lot of sites. I'd love to hear
the reasoning behind it.

> Also, don't leave the push to talk box unchecked. That never seems to work.
> I leave it in "push to talk" mode and get reliable results.

I'm sure this is written up somehwere, but I haven't found it.
We've run into several others who have struggled with it as well.
I just happened to stumble onto it while clicking around in
the audio window. The audio window has two vertical "meters"
on the right side. The arrowhead on the left meter bar can
be moved up and down. It sets a threshold for sound to
activate the microphone. Thus you can work in voice activated
transmission mode, by

1. Turning off the "Push to Talk" box.
2. Clicking on the "threshold" arrowhead and moving it
toward the lower end of the left meter.
3. Speaking loud enough into the microphone to cause the
right meter level to exceed the threshold you set. This
causes the microphone at the bottom right to go into
reverse video and sends your audio out.

There are some problems in this mode with feedback and "echoing"
because you often end up with the microphones in send mode at
both ends of the conference. It helps somewhat to hold the
mike close to your mouth and away from the speakers. (It's
murder with the built in mike and speaker on the PowerBook
because they are right next to each other.)

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>
> Lindsay Hewson
> Senior Lecturer
> Professional Development Centre
> University of New South Wales
> Sydney 2052 Australia
>
> phone: 02 385 5968
> fax: 02 385 5970
> email: l.hewson@unsw.edu.au
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Somehow we've got to work together to get these many "tidbits"
of information into the FAQ or into one of the html sites.
I'd be willing to organize the ones I've collected if someone
has an idea for getting them into a central information
collection.

--Ben
Ben Domenico Unidata Program Manager
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu P.O. Box 3000