A: QuickCam, printer port, ARA, etc.

Fri, 13 Jan 1995 01:16:40 -0500

At 03:01 1/12/95, Frederick Chu <f.chu@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

>However, for the 660AV at home, since I have to connect to the Medical
>School via modem (Geoport telecom adapter), therefore the camera had to be
>connected to the printer port. When I installed the software, although I
>was warned that AppleTalk was being used by some other software, the
>installation was successful.... [snip]
>
>To summarise, I need the modem port (Geoport) on my 660AV for setting up
>video link with the Medical School, so the only port available for the
>QuickCam camera is the printer port. But when the camera is connected to
>the printer port, it would only work if AppleTalk is turned off, and when
>AppleTalk is turned off, the modem failed.

I sent this question, with some other snippets, to the talking heads at
Connectix. Their response:

>Actually, he has the new software. The problem is that his ARA software
>requires AppleTalk and when AppleTalk is on the printer port is marked as being
>in use by the OS even if it isn't. This has been a bug in the OS since the
>early days of AppleTalk. We believe we've finally found a way around it and
>will iterate the software accordingly.

There you have it!

Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/Disputed long and loud/Each in his own |
opinion/Exceeding stiff and strong/Though each was partly right/And |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |