1200 baud version of CU-SeeMe? See Dick Smile.

Fri, 13 Jan 1995 01:51:57 -0500

Larry, Dick, and I danced this tango once. It was so much fun that perhaps
it'll fell better the second time around. You decide:

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 18:07:48 -0500
From: R.Cogger@cornell.edu (Richard Cogger)
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

At 5:21 PM 12/19/94, Michael Sattler, San Francisco wrote:
>At 10:09 12/19/94, Larry Chace wrote:
>>CU-SeeMe currently supports audio input ONLY if...
>
>Thank you, Larry, for encapsulating this in such a pithy manner.
>
>>Now, don't get me started on trying to do "real" audio and video at 9600
>>Kbaud, 14.4 Kbaud, 19.2 Kbaud, etc.
>
>NOW WAIT JUST A SECOND! I have two or three PERFECTLY GOOD Hayes 1200 baud
>modesm that I want to use with CU-SeeMe. Are you telling me that I can't
>use them, not even with delta-mod sound transmission. What a gyp! I guess
>the AppleModem 300 was a waste of money too, huh?

Actually, since there is such a demand, perhaps we should consider getting
SERIOUS about supporting low bandwidth:

Specification: CU-SeeMe-Lite

Communications: 300baud Acoustic Coupler

Video: Heavy-duty compression by dual-deci-decimation to achieve 6 or more
frames/minute. Tradeoff will be that images will be only 3x4 pixels (hxw)
and only pixels changing by more than 7 gray-levels will be sent for each
frame.

Text: typing supported for a single character at a time shown in the frame
in "leaned over" mode.

Audio: Full bandwidth silver-tone audio. Tradeoff is that it will be
impossible to carry actual speech from the sender, so the receiving side
will run a real-time simulation and playout of the modem frequency-shift
keying tones, which should be quite pleasent when the volume is properly
set.

SlideWindow/Whiteboard: Hi-rez still images at 10x15 pixels to be used for
technical drawings, medical images, spontaneous freehand drawing, and other
demanding applications. Special bonus: full color at 2-bit depth.

Projected delivery schedule: April 1, 1920

Warrantee: As with all CU-SeeMe products, users will benefit from an
unlimited money-back refund policy, but we can not be responsible for any
time wasted, as in reading this spec.

Cheers, -Dick

Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/Disputed long and loud/Each in his own |
opinion/Exceeding stiff and strong/Though each was partly right/And |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |