Re: CUsm Source Licensing

Richard Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 15:13:54 -0500

My mistake, I guess. One needs to put everything in the first couple lines
of a message cause some folks don't read further...

Quoting myself:

"There WILL be a free distribution of CU-SeeMe source code from
Cornell, but with some restrictions so as to preserve the value for those
wanting to develop the technology commercially. Details are being worked
out; stay tuned."

and:

"Incidentally, we DO plan to continue to develop and distribute
free versions in executable form, as we presently do. This distribution
will include the new Plug-In interface and Plug-In Software Development
Kit, permitting others to develop and distribute add-on function modules
with little restriction. (See announcements of version 0.80b later today
or early next week.)"

All of you who use CU-SeeMe, set up reflectors, etc. will continue to get
all the CU-SeeMe we can manage to keep producing, and for FREE. Also,
people who would like a product with some better user support behind it and
documentation and so on MAY have the opportunity to get it at a price AND
in so doing contribute a bit more to the continued availability and
development of the FREE version.

In addition, those who want access to the source code WILL be able to have
it FOR FREE, as long as they're not using it to make money. And if they
should later decide they want to make money with what they've done, they
will know that they'll be able to get a commercial license on reasonable
terms.

Now unless I'm missing something, it seems that there's going to be MORE
non $ CU-SeeMe out there than heretofore.

Cheers, -Dick