Collins' complaint

Richard Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 15:09:33 -0500

Tim,
Below is my reply to Mr. Collins by way of contrast. I think, on
reflection, I like yours better; more to the point. I hadn't realized his
went to the list so replied only to him, but this is going to the list.
-Dick

At 1:08 PM 1/13/95 -0500, Collins,Richard;ContStd; wrote:
>Your timing is poor. Had this occurred when the timelines for the
>Windows and Mac versions were closer together I'd agree whole heartedly
>but not now when PC users are hideously teased by the possibilities.

This is some of the most ridiculously self-centered whining I have ever
heard. We give you free software, and your response is to feel "hideously
teased" because it doesn't do everything you would like. Sheesh...

Tim Dorcey
Hideous Teaser

-------------From R. Cogger in answer to Collins---------------------
>Your timing is poor. Had this occurred when the timelines for the
>Windows and Mac versions were closer together I'd agree whole heartedly
>but not now when PC users are hideously teased by the possibilities.

Not sure what aspect of "this" needed to wait for closer timelines or what
it is that you would agree with... ?? We have no intention of slacking off
on efforts to catch the Windows version up.

We have actually been at work on the Windows stuff. I think we'll have the
audio in (and other things to bring the Windows version up to 0.70b15
equivalent status by the end of Feb or thereabouts. That means about 3
months behind the Mac for that. That's also probably about the time or
before the time we complete any commercial licensing arrangements.

It will probably be a bit longer to catch up for the 0.80 features, but not
all that much. We've been short on Windows capable folks, but have made
some funding and other arrangements to compensate. Anyway, it is our
objective to get the Windows version within 0-2 months lag, and keep it
there, rather than the 14 months as of a year ago, and I think we're making
progress.

What happened actually is that audio for the Mac, although it seemed to
drop in very quickly, took a loooong time to get debugged, and the 0.80
stuff also took a lot longer to finish then we originally thought. What
looks like a lot of activity on the Mac is really more a case of several
major efforts (finally) completing at about the same time. Several things
for the Windows version have also been working their way thru the process,
like a pig thru a python, as my former boss used to say. Look for quite a
bit to happen on the (free) Windows version over the next several months.

Cheers, -Dick