Re: ISDN/CU-seeme/QuickCam wisdom request

Wed, 18 Jan 1995 16:09:52 -0500

At 06:31 1/18/95, Jud Elliott wrote:

>Any CU'ers using ISDN and/or ISDN with the QuickCam are asked to report
>your results...

A single channel (56 or 64 kbps) is much better than 14.4 or 28.8 kbps.
Two channels (112 or 128 kbps) is better again. With dedicated compression
hardware (as might exist at multiple sites on a school or office campus)
you can jack the thruput up as much as 4x (but I'm not sure how well a
CU-SeeMe video stream will compress).

As I'm just about to get ISDN to my house, and a VideoSpigot is on its way
to me, and my SPARCstation is getting some much-needed hardware, soon y'all
will be able to connect to my own reflector and see what's going on here!

Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |