Re: Mac CU-SeeMe defies best minds in the room!

J. Colin R. Hunter (chunter@umabnet.ab.umd.edu)
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 21:49:22 -0500

On Sun, 22 Jan 1995, Richard Cogger wrote:

> SPBOpenDevice Failed.
> err= -227
>
> is sort of a universal symptom, just meaning that the open Sound Parameter
> Block call to the SoundManager failed. It can fail because:
>
> a) you have a geo-port device, like a software express modem or a fax-thing
> (hooked up, in operation, installed, which?).

With the 660AV or 840AV, you need to switch off the Express Modem control
panel before you can send audio. It doesn't matter if it's installed and
in your Control Panels folder, provided it is switched off *before* you
try to send CU-SeeMe audio. Somebody once told me he was able to receive
a fax via a Geoport modem while sending CU-SeeMe audio on his 840AV, but
I have never been able to get my 840AV to send audio with the Express
Modem CP switched on.

> e) You have the Monitor set to too many colors (Really? is this right?)
> says Michael Sattler. I've seen this associated with the "found digitizer
> but can't digitize" error message, but not the SPB -227 message.

I think Michael is mistaken on this one. I have *never* come across the
SPB -227 error message except with audio problems.

J. Colin R. Hunter
Virology Laboratories, University of Maryland at Baltimore