Cross town CU-SeeMe

Richard Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 16:31:21 -0500

Wayne,
To use CU-SeeMe, you *must* have IP connectivity which passes UDP
port 7648 both ways. If that's not meaningful to you, and I don't mean
this unkindly, you will need to get in touch with a local networking expert
to be able to asses what options you have.
If the two offices both have modems, it is possible to use SLIP by
having one call the other. (This will take some knowlege to set up.) It
simply won't work at all to log on to a timesharing system at the
University, if that's what you meant. Also, 14.4 is not enough to get very
much video, but lots of folks think it's worth their time to use it-- be
warned that it may not impress you as useful at all.
There are some commercial products with names like Sharevision or
some such that cost $1-2000 or more per end that are supposed to do a fair
job point-point with a POTS line. CU-SeeMe was designed to work with a
real Internet connection, capable of 1-200Kbps or more, for multi-party
conferencing, and it's very inexpensive (<$100) if you already have Mac's
that are well connected to the Internet.

Hope this helps, -Dick