Re: * MacTCP Commercial or Shareware? *

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 00:54:55 -0500

At 20:01 1/25/95, Kathy Kidd Plamondon wrote:
>Can someone tell me whether MacTCP is shareware or commercial? I see it
>listed on the ftp site and included in some Internet books, but I also
>hear that Apple sells this as a commercial product. It is VERY important
>that I know whether we need to purchase MacTP for school computers or
>whether it is legal to download and install it.

It is commercial software, and you need to purchase it from Apple or one of
it's licensees. The cheapest way of buying a single copy is in Adam
Engst's excellent book, Internet Starter Kit for {Mac,Windows}. As a
school, you may be able to get a better deal through Apple's education
programs, but I doubt it. You'll need to purchase one copy of MacTCP per
Macintosh you intend to use at one time.

The current version is 2.0.6. You can find it on-line at some places as
part of demos, but it's not right to take it from there (as you seem to
know). You can find MacTCP 1.1 at ftp.apple.com; it's been deemed
freeware, but it may be all you need for some proof-of-concept.

Good luck; it's always good to see schools going on-line.

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |