Re: *MacTCP Commercial or Shareware*

Dan Updegrove (danu@dccs.upenn.edu)
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 02:41:51 -0500

Additional notes and (potential) clarifications:

* MacTCP (don't know version) is included in MacOS 7.5

* If our university is any example, arrangements can be made with Apple
for site licensing.

* In my opinion, making the latest MacTCP widely available at little or no
cost would be a wise strategy for Apple, given the widespread publicity
for bundled TCP solutions on the Windows side, such as "Internet in a
Box," OS/2 WARP, and Windows9?. I think it is worthwhile, especially for a
cash-strapped school or school district, to determine if their local Apple
rep can do anything to make MacTCP available. For the time being at least,
it seems to me that Apple is better off giving away blades to sell razors.

Dan

--
Daniel A. Updegrove                           University of Pennsylvania
Associate Vice Provost                        3401 Walnut, Suite 221A