Re[2]: Windows Version Dies with GPF

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 03:27:24 -0500

At 23:02 1/26/95, markh@ccmailgw.analogy.com wrote:
> Now that you (the dedicated mac'ite) have had your laugh, the problem
> really exists.

I didn't say it didn't. In fact, the smiley face is there for people like
you, the humor-impaired. I immediately followed with several suggestions
for debugging the problem:

>>Only on your machine :-) Seriously, since you say that you use this
>>machine for nothing else (and you haven't mentioned changing anything
>>recently), my guess is that Windows ate it's antiquated FAT file system. I
>>suggest that you run Norton Utilities to check the file system, use some
>>other software to verify your network connection, and after all that fails
>>to give you joy, re-install (a) CU-SeeMe, (b) your networking software, (c)
>>Windows, as appropriate.

> P.S. Since you seem to have a "LARGE" opinion on how other people
> should be using this list, how come most of the inane comments seem to
> be currently coming from you? Sorry - as you say, every once in a
> while some of us just get annoyed at the rest of you.

I'm not sure what the "LARGE" refers to, and I'm not sure which of my
comments seem inane to you, but I'll be glad to discuss your impressions
off-line. Most of my messages to this list (and my CU-SeeMe web pages) are
intended to help people overcome technical issues in getting CU-SeeMe up
and running.

And to be perfectly clear about my Macintosh dedication: over the last four
years I've professionally installed, configured, used, debugged code on,
and quality-assured code on a great variety of PCs, from IBM ThinkPads to
Cornell Pentiums. I've taken all my experiences and made the informed
choice that for me (and my time) the Macintosh is the more efficient work
platform. I've still put more time in on PCs than most folks, and I can
still help people debug their setups on them.

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |