Re: QuickCam too stinkin' dark!

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 18:39:41 -0500

At 14:09 1/27/95, A.P.N. de Boer wrote:

>(I hope this is not a FAQ, I checked the relevant FAQ's but ...)

Put http://www.jungle.com/msattler/sci-tech/comp/hardware/quickcam.html on
your list of places to check for up-to-date QuickCam info.

At 08:40 1/4/95, Tim_Dorcey@cornell.edu wrote:

> I believe this has been mentioned on the list before, but it deserves
>re-emphasis. Unlike most cameras, the Connectix QuickCam does not have an
>"auto-iris," (i.e., the ability to automatically adjust to available
>light). Although there are certain advantages to this, a problem results
>with flourescent light fixtures, which apparently cycle in the amount of
>light they give off, producing oscillations in the brightness of the
>displayed video image. Aside from the annoyance of the oscillations, this
>behavior defeats the compression algorithm by causing the entire image to
>change with each frame (in the worst case), so frame rates drop
>dramatically. I just saw this in action, dropping what should have been 10
>fps or so down to 1 fps. The only solution I can think of if you are in
>this situation is to smooth out the flourescent cycle with some other light
>source. Even if you add in the price of incadescent bulb and lamp, the
>Connectix is still a good deal. Note also that auto-irises are not without
>problems, as slight changes in the subject matter can change the amount of
>light reaching the lens, causing it to open or close, and introducing
>spurious changes in parts of the image that have not changed at all.

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |