Re: Windows Version Dies with GPF

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 16:42:50 -0500

At 11:44 1/27/95, Frank Chen x-69531 wrote:

>This has nothing to do with tcpman or CUSEEME. My experience told me
>that by installing DrWatson under Startup group, I have less
>General Protection Fault than before. Although DrWatson is only for
>you to record what had happened when you get the GPF.

It sounds like the problem is memory management. By adding Dr. Watson
you're adding something that stays in memory, and by adding something that
wasn't there before, you're moving stuff around in memory. You might want
to play around with your memory manager. We never had anything but misery
with the EMM that came with Windoze 3.11, and finally settled on the
commercial QEMM product. Once I let QEMM re-order my in-memory stuff (my
TCP stack, etc.) my GPFs went away.

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |