Re[3]: Windows Version Dies with GPF

markh@ccmailgw.analogy.com
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 18:38:15 -0500

As per Michael's Request: Here is my public apology to Michael included in
the text of the original exchange:

Shouldn't make these replies after having a day like yesterday ;-).

Not totally humor impaired just overstressed ...

My annoyance was more at your cavalier response which amounted to just
rebuild your PC from scratch. As I attempted to explain in my brain
dead mode at the time (also adding to the noise), was that GPF faults
are usually caused by memory overlaps in programs (writing to memory
blocks not malloc'ed to them), memory managers not being setup
correctly so that they attempt to use memory addresses allocated to
hardware, or non-graceful handling of out of memory. This problem is
more than likely caused by the last, because as I said, I can cause
this to happen rather quickly if I bring up another medium sized
program and then enlarge the CUSEEME video window. As soon as I get a
burst of new video data (lots of stuff on the screen changes) I will
(almost) always get a GPF and have to reboot.

I have no beef with your qualifications and for the most part your
answers are very helpful ... maybe you (and I) need to make sure we
don't make replies when to tired to be really helpful.

I debated whether or not to send this on to the whole list, but
decided this was still mostly between you and I and did not really
need to add to the general noise level. Besides, most of this has been
stated in the several follow-ups that were posted to yours and my
initial exchange.

Again, I apologize and will attempt to keep my comments coherent in
the future (and done before midnight ... ;-).

Mark Holm markh@analogy.com -or-
Analogy
P.O. Box 1669 Phone (503)626-9700
Beaverton, Oregon 97075-1669 Fax (503)643-3361