Intro

Robert D. Peckham (bobp@unix1.UTM.Edu)
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 23:13:15 -0500

I am new on the list, and do not have a camera yet (would welcome advice,
though I hear that was a recent discussion topic). A French teacher in a
rural area,I am outfitted with a SLIP connection and a 14,4 baud external
modem and a PowerMac 7100AV. I can do better borrowing someone's equipment
at work. There is a video input camera connected to a 7100 about 100 yards
from my office.

I would like to know if it is possible to receive video at home if I shut
off the audio.

I do have a project in mind, to rig up an IP net between francophone
countries and the US for learning English from one side and French from the
other. I know that there are some things going on in France. I even have
a reflector address one institution where they are putting CU-SeeMe to work
in language learning somewhere in my files. Perhaps you have received this
message on your list already, but if you have not, here is further proof of
the growing interest in vthe instructional use of videoconferencing.

Cheers,

Bob Peckham

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 11:04:55 EST
From: Queen's-Bell Instructional Technology Project
<qbell@edu-ss10.educ.queensu.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list CANARIE <CANARIE@UNB.CA>
Subject: Information Technology and Education: RFC

Researchers at Queen's University (Canada), in conjunction with Bell Canada,
are reviewing the instructional use and development of information
technology. We are particularly interested in discovering how developers and
users evaluate the effectiveness and impact of twelve rapidly-evolving
instructional technologies used in education (K-12 and post-secondary) and
in the workplace:

Video Conferencing
Multimedia
Interactive CD-ROM
Desktop Video (Videoconferencing, Audio-graphics)
Computer Conferencing (On-line interaction, e.g. e-mail, chat)
Audio Conferencing (Instructional use of teleconferencing)
Embedded Training (i.e. specific to and within a given computer application)
Computer-Based Training (CBT)
Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS)
Electronic Performance Support Systems (EPSS)
Virtual Reality
Simulators

We would appreciate hearing about your experiences using, evaluating and
modifying these instructional technologies. If you have relevant news or
suggestions to share, please contact us at:

qbell@educ.queensu.ca

Our goal is to help developers and users to identify strategies and
situations that optimize instructional practices and learning outcomes. A
complimentary (printed or electronic) copy of the review will be sent to all
those assisting us in its development.

This message has been cross-posted to a number of education and technology
related mailing lists. We apologize to those people who receive multiple copies.

Queen's - Bell Instructional Technology Project
Faculty of Education, Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6

Robert D. Peckham
Editor: Societe Francois Villon, Bulletin
130 Laura St.
Martin, TN 38137
E-mail: bobp@utm.edu
Voice: (901) 587-6562
FAX: (901) 587-4120 (when I'm not on line)