Re: Intro

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 00:17:19 -0500

At 20:13 1/28/95, Robert D. Peckham wrote:
>I am new on the list...

Welcome!

>I would like to know if it is possible to receive video at home if I shut
>off the audio.

It certainly is!

>I do have a project in mind, to rig up an IP net between francophone
>countries and the US for learning English from one side and French from the
>other....

As someone who's both learned and taught foreign languages, the value of
face-to-face interaction has been impressed upon me. When I use CU-SeeMe
to speak with other English-speakers I'm always surprized how
barely-adequete a video-phone is. I'd be skeptical of learning a language
over it. Of course, when we all connect at 256 kpbs I may have to eat my
words...

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe |