Sound dropping out

Douglas Griffin (griffin@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com)
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 15:03:44 -0500

>From: Pat Korn <pat_korn@mail.mecc.com>
>Subject: Sound dropping out
>
>When I watch a NASA select reflector, the sound will be coming in fine for a
>few seconds, and then stop. The icon still shows it is turned on, by I don't
>hear anything. If I toggle the sound icon, it will come back on for a little
>while before it cuts back out. Anyone else had this problem? I'm using the
>.80b2 version of CU-SeeMe for Mac. I use the ppc version at home with my
>PowerMac 6100 over a 14,400 modem and the 680xx version at work with a IIci
>on Ethernet connected to a 56K line. I happens both places.

Pat,
Starting in December there were a series of posts on the subject of "Audio
lock-up with MacIIci." An extract of my post below was similar to yours:

>When running Cu-SeeMe with either a direct one-to-one connection or
through a reflector I receive 5 seconds of audio and video from the other
end. At the end of 5 seconds, the receive audio stops coming from my
internal speaker but the receive video continues. If I click the received
audio speaker icon off and on, audio functions again for another 5 seconds,
then locks up again.

This was suggested to be a serial port audio handling problem produced by
my QuickCam. However, I get the same problem without QuickCam. Others
without a camera have reported the same problem on the MaIIci and on the
Quadra.

You are not alone. I found some relief by disabling as many inits as
possible and not having other programs running at the same time. Sometimes
this works, most times it does not.

Doug

Douglas Griffin | Griffin@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com
Associate Research Scientist | Phone (203) 431-5433
Schlumberger-Doll Research | Fax (203) 438-3819
Old Quarry Road |
Ridgefield, CT 06877 |