Re: newsgroup issues

Robin B. Lake (rbl@hal.epbi.cwru.edu)
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 18:59:11 -0500

> From owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu Tue Jan 31 14:04:13 1995
> Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
> To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: newsgroup issues
>
> Michael,
>
> I would like to echo Patrick Stingley's concerns about switching the
> discussion over to Newsgroup format. On a general level, moving into
> Newsgroup usually increases the amount of noise/flame in the discussion.
> Also, personally, I probablly woudn't be able to access the newsgroup. I am
> behind a pretty tight corporate firewall and it is rare that a news group can
> get through.
>
> I subscribe to the digest form and it works great. I arrive to work in the
> morning and all the previous day's messages are bundled into one long email
> that I can work my way through.
>
> I would love to hear from you or other people on this issue.
>
> If anyone needs info on setting up the subscription as a digest, I have the
> list's original help file archived.

There is no problem setting up the newsgroup and distributing it in digest
form to those who live behind the Firewall. I receive several groups
this way.

The advantage of the newsgroup is that my newsreader lets me:
- Quickly identify those postings I want to see and disregard
those I don't
- Let's me save the items I want to archive (as does mail, but
not a digest)

I would MUCH rather have this dicussion as a newsgroup.

Rob Lake
Environmental Modeling Inc.
rbl@hal.cwru.edu