Re: Modem-to-Modem Connection

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 09:11:39 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Jan 1996 mattness@aol.com wrote:

> Is it possible to use my modem to call another Cuseeme user instead
> of going through the Internet to a reflector site?

Greetings:
In theory, YES. In practice? I haven't tried it yet. What you'ld be
doing is to have both sites connect using (let's say...) Trumpet
WinSock. Your network setup options (examples) for remote and local
sites would look like:

LOCAL REMOTE
NETMASK: 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: {REMOTE's IP#} {LOCAL's IP#}
DNS (NameServer): 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
TIME SERVER: N/A (blank) N/A (blank)
DOMAIN SUFFIX: Optional (blank) Optional (blank)
MTU: 1064 1064
TCP RWIN: 4096 4096
TCP MSS: 1024 1024

You'll have to configure both side's "hosts" files to contain the LOCAL and
REMOTE IP numbers and references to the IP# 127.0.0.1 ("localhost"). You'll
need to co-ordinate these values amoungst yourselves, as well as your protocol
(i.e.-SLIP, CSLIP or PPP). One side will have Trumpet set their modem in
"auto-answer" mode, the other side will dial in. To verify your connection,
try starting up CU-SeeMe and running your connection.
Again, I've been trying to get my co-workers to let me "guinee-pig" their
machines, but to no avail! PLEASE... let me know if it works!

Thank you for your time,

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"