Re: Pornography Causes Reflector Shutdown

Joel W. Stocker (JSTOCKER@canr1.cag.uconn.edu)
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 14:00:31 EST

David Winetsky (dwinet@gal.berkeley.edu) responded by saying:

> Have you considered loosening up and just letting people do what
> they want?
> David Winet

For David and others with your approach:

There are a lot of people out there who are offended by pornography,
who actually don't want to be exposed to it - at least not by
suprize. Out of respect for those individuals it is up to the users
of the video and other network softwares to limit their
"non-standard" activities to sites or reflectors set up for that
behavior.

If the individual users don't show the respect, and continue to use
public reflectors, then the administrators of the public facilities
are forced to make the decisions themselves about what they feel is
disrespectful or offensive behavior. Until a technology arrives
allowing automatic screening many administrators will vote to close
down the relfectors altogether.

My point is, because the network is global, with thousands of
different value systems, we as individuals have to self police our
actions even more than we normally would - not less as David's
comment implies. Ohio State made made a judgement call out of
respect for the majority of users. I support their decision.

Joel Stocker