Re: Pornography Causes Reflector Shutdown

Richard (global@dircon.co.uk)
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 19:27:50 +0000

At 14:00 6/1/96, Joel W. Stocker wrote:
>On Thursday, 4 Jan 1996, Bob Dixon wrote:
>
>> Due to the increasing level of pornography appearing on the Ohio
>> State University reflector, it has been turned off until a
>> solution to prevent this is found....
>
>David Winetsky (dwinet@gal.berkeley.edu) responded by saying:
>
>> Have you considered loosening up and just letting people do what
>> they want?
>> David Winet
>
>For David and others with your approach:
>
>There are a lot of people out there who are offended by pornography,
>who actually don't want to be exposed to it - at least not by
>suprize. {stuff elided}

>Ohio State made made a judgement call out of
>respect for the majority of users. I support their decision.
>
>Joel Stocker

to which Richard added .

...entirely so....
....is David suggesting that my 3 (coming on 4) year old should be exposed
to this stuff...waving yr dick in front of a video camera should IMHO not
be sprung upon people by suprise..(lest anyone thinks the
3 yr old cannot log on to the net and CuSeeme and get on the reflector
they've not met him ..he opened KPT Bryce combined a scene and then found
the render command and rendered it.. to the exclamation of wow..) and
several hours a day works away on a 7500 opening everything he can
find..and his own programmes as well..
....and then there is my neighbour whom I invited home to look at the net..

..we logged on to the Ulster reflector and guess wot....
... the first image up was a guy hanging his dick out....

well in the end she laughed (later) and said she'd seen a penis or two
before actually....butttt....it is hardly the best advert for the
internet....her first time of logging on...what has she now told her
family... her colleagues at the government office where she works etc..

..the dick swingers should set up their own reflector where they can do
their thing to their hearts content and where people know what to expect
when they log on...

and they should respect the requests of Reflector sites who prohibit this
stuff..
... to flout such requests (as the one posted on the Ulster Reflector) will
lead to the loss of the (another) facility...

...deliberately ignoring such requests is *extremely selfish* action by a
minority....and whilst obsession with self may underly this behaviour......
...I'd like to see them move (or be moved) elsewhere in the interests of
the majority....

In communication
Richard