Re: Pornography Causes Reflector Shutdown

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 00:32:47 -0800

luc@box.nl (Luc Volders) wrote:

>David wrote:
>
>>Two reflectors is a good idea. Thanks Michael.
>
>I disagree. This means that reflector owners/maintainers have to
>invest money (IP adress, reflector system etc) just because
>people are misbehaving.

When the alternative is shutting down all public academic and corporate
reflectors, investing a few more CPU cycles and those terribly expensive IP
addresses (I have a few of them under my bed) is a great idea. I'm
surprized I have to explain this.

>Now someone puts up a reflector for free. That is costing them money
>like an IP adress, a computer, electricity etc.
>And they are getting nothing in return (most are public reflectors).
>And now you suggest that they should put a guy or girl behind it to minitor
>it full time. Just so that we the free users can enjoy it.
>
>Get real. Who is going to pay the salary?
>We may be glad that there are free public reflectors at all.

Luc, I can't keep up with your dueling personalities. Which side of the
issue are on on? A few messages ago (first excerpt) you disagree with my
suggestion to start another reflector process in an attempt to maintain
public reflectors.

In the second message you take someone to task for suggesting something
that makes keeping public reflectors less likely?

Do you have any constructive suggestions to add to this conversation, or
have you adopted a Monty-Python-esque "No, it isn't" automatic response to
every suggestion that passed through this list?

I think you have an honorable intention here, but for the life of me I
can't tell what the hell it is.

Michael

Michael Sattler, Digital Jungle <mailto:msattler@jungle.com> |
San Francisco, California, USA <http://www.jungle.com/msattler/> |

My book "Internet TV with CU-SeeMe" (ISBN 1-57521-006-1) is available! |

To leave this list send listproc@cornell.edu a message body with the |
command "u*subscribe cu-seeme-l". (Replace the '*' with 'n'; if |
the "un" word had appeared then this message would have automagically |
been filtered to the trash by many people's filtering configuration.) |