Re: Pornography Causes Reflector Shutdown

Serge Ecoiffier (serge@turner.lamf.uwindsor.ca)
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 13:19:44 -0500

>Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 13:17:29 -0500
>To: dwinet@QAL.Berkeley.EDU
>From: Serge Ecoiffier <serge@turner.lamf.uwindsor.ca>
>Subject: Re: Pornography Causes Reflector Shutdown
>

>>Ever been to a European beach? Seen a lot of topless women, or thongs?
>>Were you offended? Should their beaches be restricted? There are
>>zillions of kids there. Would you like it if women went topless on
>>beaches here? No? Who decides? Is "OK" in France but "Not OK" in the US?
>
>Two flaws in your example:
>
> 1) your comparing topless with bottomless. Should of used the
example of nudist beaches. They are not all closed to the public [at least
not in Europe], but they are identified as a place to ... let it all hang
out. So if one is offended by full nudity, they know to stay away. Topless
beaches are, in countries like France, generally accepted. Which brings us
to the second point.

> 2) Differences in mentality. In many european countries you can
see daytime tv ads with nudity (most topless; look for the yogourt ad in
France, as an example). Here, in North America, we are just beginning to
see daytime undergarment commercials while more revealing swimwear is used
in uncensored shows [I still don't get the thinking behind this, but it
might explain the thirst for some of the talkshows were people 'expose'
their problems - "if your daughter is stealing your men, call ...." and come
talk about it in front of millions on our next show.]