Re: Pornography Causes Reflector Shutdown

Luc Volders (luc@box.nl)
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:15:43 +0100

Michael Sattler, Digital Jungle <mailto:msattler@jungle.com> wrote:

>>David wrote:
>>
>>>Two reflectors is a good idea. Thanks Michael.

a)

>>I disagree. This means that reflector owners/maintainers have to
>>invest money (IP adress, reflector system etc) just because
>>people are misbehaving.

>When the alternative is shutting down all public academic and corporate
>reflectors, investing a few more CPU cycles and those terribly expensive IP
>addresses (I have a few of them under my bed) is a great idea. I'm
>surprized I have to explain this.

b)

>>Now someone puts up a reflector for free. That is costing them money
>>like an IP adress, a computer, electricity etc.
>>And they are getting nothing in return (most are public reflectors).
>>And now you suggest that they should put a guy or girl behind it to minitor
>>it full time. Just so that we the free users can enjoy it.
>>
>>Get real. Who is going to pay the salary?
>>We may be glad that there are free public reflectors at all.
>

>Luc, I can't keep up with your dueling personalities. Which side of the
>issue are on on? A few messages ago (first excerpt) you disagree with my
>suggestion to start another reflector process in an attempt to maintain
>public reflectors.
>
>In the second message you take someone to task for suggesting something
>that makes keeping public reflectors less likely?
>
>Do you have any constructive suggestions to add to this conversation, or
>have you adopted a Monty-Python-esque "No, it isn't" automatic response to
>every suggestion that passed through this list?

Maybe you just have not read my replies very well.
At issue A) I said that putting up another reflector is costing
money.
At issue B) I said that putting someone behind a reflector to monitor
it is even costing more money.

Therefore these two answers are the same.

Well Michael the issue is that not all are as wealthy as you are and
can put up reflectors and IP adresses if they want.
Most reflectors are maintained by educational institutes. And we all
know they have budget problems, so if there is a way to avoid them
spending extra money we have to go for that.

>I think you have an honorable intention here, but for the life of me I
>can't tell what the hell it is.

Further is my point of vieuw:
This is discussion is getting out of hand.
I think a few on this list are making an issue out of nothing.
If someone is exhibiting himself on a reflector: just close the window.
You would do that on TV, so do it also on a reflector.
The discussion is just between a few people on this list so I think
most even do not care.

Regards,
Luc

CU-SeeMe users looking for reflector IP adresses?
My reflector list can be found (amongst a lot of good Mac related
and other stuff) on http://www.cnh.mv.net/ipusers/mercuryinc
Look at the columns section.

This message was sent to you by: Luc Volders luc@box.nl