Re: XXX rated users flashing other users

Gordon Whelpley (gw@zep.com)
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 21:12:56 -0700 (MST)

Some individuals seem to think that we should just turn off our access to
University reflectors if we do not want to see their private parts. If this
behavior is so cute, why don't they go to a University Campus and wave their
penises around and see if people (and the Law) just walk off the Campus and
leave them alone. This is what the "Penis Wavers & Lickers" are doing over
our Internet public space on University reflectors and, as a result, these
reflectors now cannot be used in educational or family environments.

Although some of these individuals claim that showing or licking a penis
over a University reflector is an expression of their free speech or perhaps
a "magic" event, it is no more than public exhibitionism, and should be
treated as such.

I would suggest that it is time for us to reclaim the Internet public space
on University reflectors so it can be used for more worth while efforts. We
have long ago eliminated the behavior in question from our "physical" public
spaces at Universities and there is no reason that we should tolerate it in
our "Internet" public spaces. There are existing laws prohibiting public
exhibitionism which can be used to stop this. When an exhibitor is observed
on a University reflector, capture an image of the exhibitor; document the
IP of the exhibitor, the exact time of the event, and the name/address of
the exhibitors service provider. A description of the exhibition and the
source origination information should be forwarded to the Attorney Generals
Office of the state where the service provider is located and to the
President of the service provider. Save the captured image in case it is
needed to prosecute the exhibitor (I would not suggest sending the image
unsolicited).

The Penis Wavers & Lickers do not have the right to drive educational uses
from the Internet public space on University reflectors and we do not need
another law to stop them.

GW